Friday, May 9, 2014

Jockey Rene Douglas Still Standing Tall In The Saddle

He was a fearless, strong, rider whom you knew would always leave his heart and soul on the racetrack. Fans at the track called him a money jockey because Douglas went to work always committed to get the best out of his horses, thus their hard earned two dollars invested in him would get a good return.  A product of Panama, Rene Douglas brought his immense riding talent to the United States in 1983 and quickly became another strong addition to the legacy of terrific riders that originated from this country.

I became a huge fan of the jockey and his skills after watching him ride in the Wood Memorial in 1999 aboard a horse named Cliquot for trainer John Shirreffs.  Cliquot wasn't the favorite that day, and the entire grandstand seemed to have penciled in Badge as the winner. Badge failed to live up to the hype and Adonis, ridden by Jorge Chavez stole the trophy, but Douglas was all out on his horse. I stood by the fence at Aqueduct to watch the race and when the horses turned for home Adonis had them beat, but there was this jockey giving it all he had on a horse that wasn't going to win. I clearly remembered him laying as flat as he could on the horse's back and going to a strong whip that I could hear crack as they sprinted by me. I was a fan. Rene Douglas had become one of my favorites!

Douglas would go on to win numerous races after the running of the Wood Memorial in 1999. He won four consecutive jockey titles at Arlington Park from 2001-2004 and even won seven races one day at the Arlington track. The other day I was thinking about some of the most memorable things that I have witnessed in person in horse racing and Rene Douglas popped into my mind. I remembered the day the incident happened and he went down. I never thought he wouldn't be in the saddle again until the news broke. I wanted an opportunity to speak to the jockey who rode as if  every race was his last. The jockey who on a cool April day in 1999 rode with every last inch of his breath to finish third aboard a horse that wasn't going to win.

Jockeys are always riding even when they are no longer in the saddle. Being legged up by a trainer and told to have a safe and good trip is dialogue that doesn't go to bed once a jockey's tack or gear is hung up. I wanted to know what has been going on with this top jockey since his accident and Rene has had a lot happen since walking away from the sport with God's strength. I contacted Douglas and inquired about his life since leaving horse racing. "I miss everything about racing, especially Arlington Park, riding good horses, and being around all my friends," Rene said. While missing racing and not being able to ride again would cause many to runaway and hide from the sport, Douglas has remained close to the game. His accident did not make him coil up and disappear. When I asked about his involvement in the horse racing game Douglas shared, "Last year I traveled to the Dubai World Cup and Breeders' Cup to watch Private Zone run." He has also been on the lookout for good horses and his talents and credentials on the race track make him qualified to spot a good horse anywhere. He stated, "I have found a couple of horses in Panama. The first is Golden Moka, who won the Prince Of Wales in Canada, and Private Zone who won the Vosburg, a Grade One in New York, and was second in the  Cigar Mile, and who also won a stake race at DelMar." Rene also mentioned  that Private Zone who ran in Dubai and on Breeders' Cup Day was back in training after taking some time off for a few months. "I started the stable Good Friends. They are good friends and they are just having lots of fun, and that is what it's all about." Rene went on to say, "If they are happy then I am happy. I know how it feels when you win big races and I want them to feel the same way." Douglas who still resides in Florida shared about friends that are very close to him. "I do have a group of five friends that help me not only go through the hard times, but they are always there for me," he explained. "One is a judge, the other one is a doctor, the other one is a Hall Of Fame hockey player for the Blackhawks, the other owns restaurant Viaggio in Chicago, the other lives and owns horses in Florida. What else do I need?"


Rene Douglas hasn't given up on the hope that one day he will walk again. This is a hope that resides within him. When I asked him about his accident, Rene said, "After my accident my life changed completely. I have been doing physical therapy and traveled to Panama to get stem cell treatment." Douglas also told me, "I am trying to keep myself in good spirits and positive and hope one day I can use my leg again."

Every jockey has fond memories of a thoroughbred or race that leaves a lasting impression in their minds and hearts. I wanted Rene's views on that special race or horse that he had the pleasure of competing in or on. I asked him about Editor's Note that he won the the Belmont Stakes on after replacing Gary Stevens who had gotten injured. Douglas commented, "I guess you say the Belmont Stakes because it is a very important race, but going back to my country Panama to ride the biggest race in front of lots of people and my family for the first time, and win the race was very emotional to me. The race was Clasico Presidente De La Republica."


Rene Douglas won over thirty five hundred races. He has won an American Classic and Breeders' Cup race. He has given numerous racing fans a profit on their two dollars. When he placed his feet in the irons you knew the jock was going to lay flat on his horse like that day in April when I saw him at Aqueduct, and give trainers and owners every opportunity to win the race. Douglas is still giving it all he has. He is the same fighter that traveled from Panama as a young man, hungry to make it in America as a top jockey. He accomplished that feat. I wouldn't be surprised if one day Rene Douglas led one of his charges back to winner's circle by walking. He has that type of determination and desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment