Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Ria Antonia..If I Could Talk

She broke her maiden in her second start at Woodbine, then took on the boys in the Swynford and lost to Conquest Titan. She then came to New York and tackled her own sex only to finish off the board in the Grade One Frizette. That didn't stop the dreaming, she boarded a plane and landed in California amongst Hollywood backdrop scene stealing atmosphere and produced a win, when the judges awarded her a gift. She boarded another plane and flew down to the land of blues and jazz only to be thoroughly dismissed by a woman who exposed her.

She was then given another alibi and changed stables, landing on the shore of the trainer with the silver mane and golden touch. California dreaming played once more with a hall of fame jockey, the new maestro on her back with his left hand talent couldn't get her past a fashion plate of a woman. Encouraged by her latest effort, the Oaks and its glory shouted from the land of bluegrass and breeding honey. The woman whom she tried to dethrone in Louisiana waited  for her and all the competitors. Ria Antonia was just another queen in waiting when the sun began its slow descent to the bottom of the earth. Her sixth place effort didn't write any memorable scenes but another alibi was found a few days later, an alibi that required a new handler of this woman.

Tom Amoss became the latest chapter in this never ending saga. He is the new trainer with the magic touch that will write the proper middle story for this queen in waiting. The word came a few days ago that the bank rollers of this queen was considering the Preakness, the second leg of the Triple Crown. California Chrome and his impressive, albeit slow effort didn't quiet the chorus that came from this queen in waiting camp. They wanted to do what Untapable, the reigning queen decided not to do, take on the boys. Tom Amoss whom one wouldn't categorize as bashful said a decision on the Preakness would be made after her work. We all knew the decision was already made. The work was a formality and when the word came on Monday that the queen in waiting would take on the boys, it didn't shock me or anyone who has been following this Game Of Thrones.

I have a ten year old son who plays baseball.  Every season I sit there and cheer my son on not because I believe he will be the next great baseball player but because I want him to compete and build his confidence. After a bad or good game I always find a teachable moment for him to hold on to. It is about growth and becoming a different person every time he puts on his uniform, but then there are those parents who believe this is their moment to achieve something they didn't accomplish. They push their kids hoping to cash in on dreams their talents or lack thereof didn't deliver.

What if Ria Antonia could talk? What dialogue would she have with those who are feeding her and paying her medical bills? Well it just so happens that I speak horse.

"This circus that I am a part of is one of the biggest shamble I have ever seen. People are laughing and making jokes of me going from trainer to trainer. I never know where I am going to lay my head down to rest. One day I am in Canada, the next day I am in New York with some fine people, then I am in California with the smell of champagne and caviar breathing throughout my bedroom. I was getting use to that scent each day but now I am in Kentucky, and I am starting to miss that champagne, glass tapping wakeup call I would receive each morning. Who is this new man that is looking after me? He has a voice that is strong and he only wants to talk LSU football. He is griping about some quarterback that wasn't drafted high. He is showing me pictures of California Chrome with the face of a man who coached some football team in Alabama. By the way, why am I running against California Chrome and all those boys? Shouldn't that other woman Untapable, who had all those pink flowers the other day be doing this? You know she is laughing her behind off. She knows I have absolutely no chance. The other morning I saw her and she yelled while galloping, "Soften him up for me until I get him in the Haskell." I wanted to tell her something inappropriate, but I know she is the reigning queen. Why must I take on this cause when she is clearly the better horse? I just think this whole thing is unfair. I am going to run and do my best because that is what I do, but I really wish I could use this LSU T-shirt that this trainer of mine has hanging around here and tie myself to my stall. These legs of mine won't do the trick. Damn! Oh here comes that man again yelling something. I am going to turn myself around so he could see my backside as he walks by. Wish I could put some lips on them so he gets the message."

California Chrome should win the second leg of the Triple Crown much easier than he did in the Kentucky Derby. The new shooters in the Preakness are some nice horses, but the only danger I see is Social Inclusion and he is troubling to me. Even though he scratched from his last start due to foot issues, he miraculously became well enough and is ready to take on The Chrome.  If his foot issues are better..wink wink, and he isn't rusty from the layoff, then his run could be interesting.

Ria Antonia unfortunately will not hit the board. If they listen to their own desires instead of the horse then this is one case where the horse may never be the same again. She needs her confidence and maybe an allowance race would help her in that department.

No comments:

Post a Comment