Thursday, May 8, 2014

Shaun Bridgmohan: Thoughts During And After Running of Kentucky Derby

He swung wide when they turned for home in the Kentucky Derby.  Bridgmohan drew his stick left handed and went to work on the Dallas Stewart long shot. California Chrome had gotten the jump on the rest of the field, and sprinted away home after stalking a slow early pace. While everyone else was trying to catch their breath, Commanding Curve was just starting to warm up to running. The wire approached and a jubilant Victor Espinoza raised his hand triumphantly. Bridgmohan and Commanding Curve surged past him. Next time will be different wrote the story line as the two warriors galloped out.  The day belonged to California Chrome and his non blue blood connections who are simple horse lovers with a dream to win the most prestigious race run on American soil.

It has been five days since the running of the derby and I wanted Shaun's thoughts on how he saw the race and his strategy going into the it.

The first question I asked Shaun was what were his thoughts go into the race? He replied by saying, "I thought he had a great outside chance for sure, after watching some of his races this year. He believed that the horse was doing well and could compete on this level."

I wanted to know what was his game plan coming out of the gate? Shaun said, "The game plan was to get a better break than he did last time and get him into a good rhythm."

I asked Bridgmohan about how the race developed and when did he know it was time to go on the horse?  He stated, "At the half mile pole I thought it would be good to get going."

After watching the race and seeing Commanding Curve accelerate I was curious how that felt under him.  Bridgmohan's comments were, "The horse felt great and he had a great kick to the wire and when I went to the stick the horse just kept on giving me more." Shaun also said that his horse had too much ground to makeup in trying to catch California Chrome.

I wanted to know how he felt on the gallop out with his horse and Shaun simply said, "I felt my horse ran his heart out and he tried all the way."

The Derby was over and he was back unsaddling the horse, I asked him what emotions ran through him? Shaun replied, "My thoughts was how close I came to my first derby victory." He went on to say, "I was thinking about what I could have done differently to make up that two lengths difference."


Bridgmohan didn't celebrate after experiencing his best derby result. He said, "I want to win one first before any celebrations."

Shaun Bridgmohan and Commanding Curve is hoping to turn the tables on California Chrome the next time they meet. He  said, "I really hope I win the next one with him wherever it may be." Shaun went on to say, "In order to beat California Chrome he will have to give his horse less work to do."

There are those who believe that California Chrome is the best three year old this season. Some are dismissing the ground made up by Commanding Curve by citing how jockey Espinoza geared the horse down near the wire. Some already have him penciled in as the next triple crown winner. I am not so sure. Commanding Curve caught my eye in the Louisiana Derby. He was lengthening his stride and coming on, and while some dismissed the race, I liked what I saw and quickly added him to the list of horses to watch for the derby. The more the derby drew closer, the better I liked him. I was concerned with the work he published over the Churchill Down course, but Bridgmohan and Stewart seemed confident, so I remained optimistic.  The horse ran great and closing that fast into a slow pace should be viewed as extremely positive moving forward.

Commanding Curve as of now is passing on the Preakness Stakes and waiting for the Belmont. California Chrome should make short work of his competitors in the Preakness, then the showdown in New York should take place. A possible triple crown winner with the made for television story, and a horse, Commanding Curve who is trying to write himself into the ending of this story.








No comments:

Post a Comment